Happy New Year everybody.
I didn’t get to play FO4 at all except the last few days – my Corsair PSU died after only 8 months and the old/backup one didn’t have 8-pin plugs to power the Fury X. So I had to swap in older GPU as well while I waited for Corsair to get repaired. In the end I got a new one instead – and actually I like it better as it’s dead silent while the previous wasn’t. I mean it wasn’t very noisy but since it’s a semi-passive PSU – in otherwise pretty quiet PC – I could hear the buzzing in idle and it was mildly annoying.
I’ve started shipping ordered GDEMUs but I have a terrible case of running nose now and can’t really assemble more PCBs – so it’s going to be very slow at first. Plus after all those holidays my work place got busy again, so I have very little free time and motivation to do anything more.
Rhea orders will open soon but not Phoebe – there is an issue with some Type-4 Saturns that needs further investigation and quite possible another PCB revision. While it doesn’t seem to affect other models I don’t want to make more devices that I know are flawed. Again I blame Sega and the multitude of mainboard models they’ve gone through. And the funny thing is there isn’t a specific VA mobo that doesn’t work, it seems to be more subtle than that. I will know more once I get my hands on one of the affected consoles.
On PCE front it’s a bit more quiet but at least I have a better idea of what I want now. So far each first ODE prototype was having major issues (altohugh would work with some HW mods). For Saturn I actually started with a dev board but the MCU I had in there (old ARM7) was just not good enough, so I ended up making a replacement sub-PCB with much newer and faster MCU but not before I built a stand-alone V1 ODE. This time I need more I/O pins so I’ll have to use yet another different MCU but I’ll make a new dev board of sorts and a separate PCB for the PCE stuff. This way I can both make HW changes and reuse the dev board later for other purposes. Usually too many wires are bad idea as the first GDEMU showed but PCE is much slower, 8-bit synchronous bus so I expect way less problems. Almost 2 years after it was started but this project is finally getting done 🙂
In related news I’ve also designed and ordered a new interface PCB for Saturn, so that I can finally run some more tests on the drive itself. Plus I bought that Bug! game and I have to say the original disc takes way, way more time to load the levels than ODE, which is probably why it hangs. Once I have the setup assembled I’ll try to compare drive and ODE data dumps side by side to see if it’s something I messed up or indeed a timing issue.