GDEMU devices are sold fully functional and tested but the firmware (internal operating software) can be updated by placing a special file on the SD card should a need arise.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT reflash your device at the very first sign of trouble. In 99.99% of cases the problem is something you did (or didn’t do) and not a FW bug. You can use GDMENU software to check your current FW version. In general the devices are sold with the lastest one.
IMPORTANT: Devices shipped prior to 2020 and running on FW older than 5.20.0 require a special update to be applied first. Read this blog entry for more details.
The gist of the update process is this:
- Flash the updater FW following the usual instructions on the blog page.
- Remove the card and power the Dreamcast once, without any card inserted, to let the updater do its work. Wait for BIOS menu to appear.
- Power off and then insert the 5.20+ FW to flash that, again follow the instructions.
For the procedure to work properly you must closely follow these instructions:
- Extract the firmware file and rename it to “GDEMU.fw”
- Place the file in the root folder of the SD card
- Move the write protect tab at the side of the card to “Lock” position
- Insert the card into GDEMU socket while Dreamcast is powered off
- Power on the console, status LED will start blinking rapidly
- Wait until LED blinking pattern changes to 1/2 second on, 1/2 second off
- Power off Dreamcast, remove the card, unlock the tab
- Remove the file from the card to avoid accidental update
IMPORTANT: If at any time during firmware update status LED stays completly on or off, or blinks in unexpected pattern, it means an error has occured. Retry the procedure, use a different card if the problem persists.
Latest firmware: 5.20.3
- Stability improvement #2
5.20.2 (not released)
- Stability improvement #1
- Game detection fix for CD-XA media
- System code update
- Automatic timing profiles for SoA and RE:CV
- New INI option to manually cap GDEMU speed
- Internal changes
- Newer compiler used
5.14.0 (not released)
- Internal changes
- Limited support for long names (ASCII only) in filenames
- CCD parser properly detects CD-ROM XA on multisession discs
- CCD images with scrambled tracks will now work (with small speed penalty)
- CCD and CDI images with multiple track indexes are no longer rejected
- Added subchannel scanning for MCN/ISRC data (can be disabled in INI file)
- NBA Hoopz booting issues resolved
- Fixed streaming issues on CDDA-heavy games
- Fixed regression that broke plain ISO images
- Multi-session MDS/MDF images should now work
- Audio is no longer slightly muted on some Dreamcasts
- Fixed CDDA playback broken in 5.8.2 for some games
- Initial timing fix for Stupid Invaders
- Fixed button API broken in 5.8.0
- Option for jumping to selected image on system reset
- Image limit raised to 9999, folder prescan removed
- Initial support for high speed mode on SDV2 / SDHC cards
- Fixed erratic behaviour of the button API on some units
- Option to disable strict image integrity tests via INI file to allow oversized media for undub / translation projects
- Image limit raised to 64
- Initial support for up/down button emulation via API
- Some fixes for Bleem – beta now boots and works
- BIN image support for PSX games (single track only, raw sector format)
- CDDA pause/continue issues resolved
- Lid open and disc detect time can now be specified in INI file
- Initial revision for v5 models